Foodora is a food delivery platform (sort of like Airbnb where it connects the person ordering food and the different restaurants available).
Instead of a delivery person originating from the actual restaurant, you get a Foodora delivery cyclist (or driver or a person on a scooter). It was founded in Berlin, Germany (ahh great things come from Europe) and is present in over 10 countries worldwide. You can also order take out using Foodora.
In order to use Foodora you will need a smartphone as you will need to download the app. You will need a mobile phone number as well in order to verify your account and link it to the Foodora app.
Foodora is available in Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal.
The hours of delivery according to their website are
Mon – Wed: 10am – 11pm
Thu – Sun: 10am – 1am
Mon – Wed: 10am – 11pm
Thu – Sun: 10am – 1am
Mon – Sun: 10am – 10pm
How much does delivery cost?
- $3.50 for orders above $30
- $4.50 for for orders under $30
- The delivery cost is $0 if you are picking up or doing takeout
Do you have to tip?
- It’s not required according to the Foodora Contact Us page but appreciated. I think it’s a good idea since the cyclists are getting quite the workout delivering your food to you!
- Personally I usually don’t tip when picking up takeout but that’s just me
- You can tip when checking out or paying by cash when the delivery courier appears
- There’s often a promo code or voucher where you can save $10 off your next meal (minimum order is $20)
- It’s quick and the menus are all online and separated into nice categories and easy to read
- You pay through the app with your credit card or you can pay by Paypal, so you don’t have to rummage for money when you pick up your order or pay when they deliver
- They email you your receipt to you
- The customer service is quick and friendly, you can reach them through your web browser on your computer through the ‘instant chat’ button.
The first time I contacted them it was instantaneous response, the second time I contacted them, it took about 10-15 minutes for a customer service rep to respond). Now, 10-15 minutes might not seem like much but if you are HANGRY that can be a long time. LOL.
- Your food can be delivered to wherever you are, it doesn’t have to be a home
- Tons of restaurants participate so if you’re hungry and craving a certain cuisine, you have lots of options
- You can refer a friend through the Foodora app (Twitter, Whatsapp, email area all mediums that you can use to refer) and they get $10 off on their first order and you will get $10 off. However, you can only use $10 off each time (for example, you can’t accumulate $30 of vouchers and then get $30 off).
- Using your mobile phone, here’s the Foodora Promo Code and link to save $10 off your first order with Foodora (thanks for using my referral code!)
- There is a specified delivery zone within each city (which makes sense because the Foodora delivery cyclists can’t be cycling 60 minutes to the suburb to deliver your food) so it’s not available in the suburbs of Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal
- Their voucher codes can be a bit wonky (I was handed out Foodora voucher cards on the street), they don’t seem to work but if you contact the customer service they can fix things for you
how to use foodora
Signing up for Foodora is easy and getting the referral link for $10 off your first Foodora order of $20 or more you can sign up with Facebook or sign up using email.
Just put your address in so you can find the food options close by and they can estimate the delivery time for their drivers.
This is what the screen looks like, let’s say we are hankering for some fish and chips:
You can customize whether you want delivery or pick up and click on what you want to order, even provide special instructions (e.g. you want the fish and chips to be gluten free).
Finally when you are ready to order, just go to the cart and place your order. As mentioned here is the option to tip your Foodora delivery person on the screen.
the verdict on foodora
I used Foodora only for takeout as we have a favourite restaurant we like to go to. Looking at the menu options it is easy to pick and choose what you want. It also tells you how long it will be before your order is ready for pick up. It was easy to use however when I used my voucher code it didn’t work. I contacted the Foodora help desk and they were able to give me a new voucher code right away that worked. Then I ordered and inputted my credit card information and they texted to let me know that my order was ready for pick up. Then I picked up the takeout. It was super easy and straight forward.
I like the restaurant options and one of the restaurants Mr. GYM and I pick up takeout from all the time is on the Foodora app. I think it saves time for the restaurant to take an order (because it’s generated through Foodora) and it saves us time from having to call the restaurant to order. I also like that I was able to save $10 on our usual favourite takeout order, so our dinner was only $12 instead of the usual $22. I also like that you are able to refer to your friends and they will save $10 too!
Click here using your mobile phone to get the Foodora promo code to save $10 on your first order of $20 or more with Foodora! This only works if you are a new customer.
Readers in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, have you tried Foodora? Or other delivery services like Door Dash?